Patriotism is not just bullshit symbols and religious idolatry. It's not about war or evangelists or politicians or flags. It's not about supporting the government or mobsters who take power. It's about concern for all the people and preserving their integrity as Human Beings. and only idiots think any country is separate in it's ultimate fate from anyone else. The Universe defines perfection. The only thing wrong with our planet is that what people believe has no correlation to reality.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

I posted this on a listserv long ago. It defined one of my most profound experiences
which had a lot to do with my opinion now.

> Date: Sunday, July 27, 1997 03:57 AM
>
> After putting new toenail marks on my tonsils, I was hesitant to post to
> this list for a while, but...
>
> I realized that most of the information I was being given in school was
> bogus when I was ten years old. I was at my grandmother's house high on
> a hill next to Fort Leavenworth and had just finished watching the last
> Howdy Doody Show, with the puppets and cast all bemoaning the demise of
> their employment. For the first time I realized something could end,
> and having been raised in the military, I pushed at my imagination and
> saw a vision... I saw my grandmother's house in ruins, all the trees
> blasted apart, the houses only rubble around me, and off in the
> distance, a huge crater where the Fort had been.
>
> (My IQ was about 200, so I often had extremely complex imaginative
> visions at a very early age.)
>
> The next thought was, 'if the stuff I was being taught was valid, then
> the world would not be on the edge of nuclear war.'. From then on, I
> rejected almost everything I was taught as being just another pile of
> crap. I decided I would seek to understand Universe by sampling all
> kinds of 'knowledge' and subcultures, and their mental constructions, in
> order to find out if any of it could be true or if the subcultures had
> any kind of real knowledge. Suffice it to say, I drove my teachers
> crazy and turned into one neurotic teenager. (I was one who got up and
> told the geometry teacher that the 'point' was a pile of chock, and if a
> point didn't exist, then how could we make infinite lines of them...)
>
> I started my search in the Army, becoming a Green Beret and even going
> to Officer Candidate School. After finding that the military was the
> source of most violence on the planet, and that the subculture, (as
> compared to most of the solders), was about as nasty as it could get,
> one extreme of human behavior, I dropped out of the Berets and gave up
> my commission. After I was assigned to an airborne division, the
> military ordered my division to Washington to kill protesters in a kind
> of Tien Min Square Massacre long before the Chinese slaughter, and after
> seeing through the propaganda and 'kill and not be held responsible' pep
> speeches by officers, I refused to go. I knew I was facing life in
> prison, but I would not go and kill people who were just exercising
> their rights under the Constitution... not to mention the pure
> immorality of slaughtering innocents. Remember, the Army after W.W.I
> did kill the vets who protested in Washington, and I would be no part of
> another such killing. This protest, the largest that occurred, was not
> just students, but consisted of all walks of life and many many
> children.
>
> Then I saw something so amazing I still get chills from it. When I went
> back up to my bunk, in a room with 60 other bunks, I saw man after man
> come up without a weapon, which meant that they too had refused to
> participate. An officer came up and threatened to read the Articles of
> Mutiny, but none moved. I was called down and questioned, and I told
> them why I wouldn't do it, and then sent back up, and man after man was
> called down and returned, without weapons.
>
> Then the sergeants came up with our passes and leave papers, and it was
> if the whole thing had never occurred. I rarely speak of this, because
> it was like an unwritten, unspoken agreement that it not be told. I
> assumed the Commanding General had told the big brass that the Division
> was unreliable and the solders who would go with guns may well turn on
> their own officers rather than shoot the protesters. But I saw something
> so eventful that I think it is a bit of data you all need.
>
> The men who refused were of all conceptual bent and subcultures; drug
> addicts, acid heads, alcoholics, even 'kill them all and let God sort
> them out' right wing extremists. Yet, with my own eyes, I saw them
> refuse to do that slaughter. And beyond that, the same thing happened
> in every barracks throughout that Division... thousand upon thousands of
> men of different conceptual beliefs just refusing to go to Washington
> and kill people despite the possibility of going to prison for life.
>
> I wondered at this for many years, then I read that Nixon, that weekend,
> had ordered the nuclear bombing of Hanoi to end the war once and for
> all. The Soviets had stated that if we nuked Hanoi, they would attack us
> with everything they had, and the generals around Nixon had advised him
> that it was a bluff. KGB files from that time state that they were
> prepared to carry out their Thermonuclear response. Nixon was in the
> White House because he felt it was the proper place to meet the press
> after a nuke attack on Hanoi, and found himself surrounded by protesters
> in the largest antiwar demonstration yet, and wanted us to come up and
> protect him, and end the war protests by a major show of force,
> (slaughter).
>
> When the Division refused, he realized that the protests might well
> become a mob and go through the fences and defenses of the White House
> like a lava flow through a wood home, so he canceled the Bomb and left
> town. If I, and all those many others, had gone to Washington, none of
> us would live right now to debate our concepts and efforts. If you know
> the Army, you can understand what an outrageous event it was for so many
> to refuse an order.
>
> I realized that while humans think that our conceptual models are the
> highest form of action generation, that there is something else that
> moves and motivates people on really large scales. Not just when there
> are slaughters, (look at the Nazis) or wars and such, but when the whole
> planet is threatened... by thermonuclear war, for instance. I think it
> works in individuals also, and may cause whole populations to change the
> way they think, or at least act, over time. I consider it to be the
> best evidence I have of the existence of a semi-sentient global field I
> call Gaia, a field that contains all our minds, a synergy of mind and
> biofield.
> Since, like Fuller, (but not from Fuller) I believe that intelligence is
> a phenomena of Universe existent throughout Universe, everywhere it can
> exist, (my definition of 'God'), I don't think some kind of
> 'supernatural' force affected us... I think it was supremely Natural and
> I think it is working in us all the time on some deep level. While my
> explanation of it is conjecture, the event did occur, and it was totally
> extraordinary.
>
> But because of this, I have been working on 'saving the planet' for
> thirty years. I work on it because I know it is required that someone
> work on it, but I also know it is doable. We are far more than we think
> we are, and we did not evolve to fail.
>
> My strategy is not to try to change minds, even by teaching them
> Synergetics, although that helps, but rather to change people's lives by
> altering the technology they have access to on the largest scales. Then
> they more readily change their minds, learn new and more reliable
> paradigms, to fit the new technology they personally use. I think
> computers are showing this every day, as many people who said, "I don't
> need no damn computer" are busy over keyboards all over the world.
> --
> Peace and Good Health
>
> -Roan

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I dedicated myself to saving the planet back in 1958,after an imaginative vision of the world destroyed by nuclear war. In my 10 year old mind, it made everything I was ever taught suspect, and I vowed to find out what was really true, knowing that only the truth, defined by Universe, would lead to the survival of Humanity and our ecosystem. Despite being sick for more than 15 years, I remain dedicated to that vision and the realizations I had because of it many times in my life. I know what we have to do, but getting people to think about it is very difficult indeed. I continue to try, for what else are our lives for?